Hi, I am mid age forty year guy working in family business from last 15 years. I do not like this business because it has no good future. I had deep interest in learning and doing PhD in science or economics but it was a dream. My parents strongly opposed to get higher education.
Why? I don`t know. Now problem is, I am losing interest in most of the things in our life. I think there is no meaning of my life, it is worthless, and I am worthless. So what should I do? Can I get my PhD now? Is it worth? Please answer it.
Expert Advice –
I can understand how you must be feeling. First of all let me tell you it’s never too late to learn and I think you should go ahead in pursuing your PhD because if that is where your passion lies then nothing can stop your success,
As far as your business is concerned, your not liking it can have various reasons, may be you were pushed into it; maybe it is not area of your interest. This needs a bit of introspection on your side. You say you are not happy as you feel life has no meaning so you need to trigger your thinking and have a deeper look at what makes you so unhappy and what is it that can change it.
Here are few questions that might help you:
- What could you be happy about if you chose to be?
- What is a major goal that you would want to focus on?
- What’s in the way?
- What’s stopping you? Is it your self-limiting belief?
- Which step could you take that would make the biggest difference, right now? Is it seeking a PhD or is it to look inside and see what matters the most? Or is it to take a second look at your business?
- What are you willing to do to improve this situation? May be, take a fresh look at life? Seek out help from a professional coach?
- What are you willing to stop doing to improve this situation? May be stopping the feelings of despair.
Please remember you are responsible for your own life and you have it all in you, all that is required is a nudge and an accountability partner, a coach like me to help you unravel the “where”, the “why”, the “why nots” and finally the “how” to reach your goal ( happiness). Wishing you to be a leader of your life!
- Jaswinder Grewal